As a Mumbaikar 26/11 is a date etched in my memory and a day I will never forget, as much as I try to. For it was on this day in 2008 that a morning which started as perfectly normal turned into a nightmare of an evening that brought the entire city to its knees.
When I heard that ZEE5 is going to air their latest web series State of Siege 26/11, based on this incident I knew I wanted to watch it.
As this was the day some unknowns sneaked into the city, caught everyone unawares and killed innocent people at various well-known locations around the city. There was mayhem, there was death and despair and the entire city was glued to their television screens, horrified as they watched the updates that kept coming in.
The security forces swung into action and came together to fight back the terrorists in a commendable fashion, with a special mention to the NSG Commandos who played a major part along with the city’s Police Force to get the situation under control.
Some Facts about 26/11
- 10 members of Lashkar-e-Taiba, a terrorist organisation, carried out 12 coordinated shooting and bombing attacks.
- The attacks lasted for 4 days across Mumbai city.
- An approximate of 174 people were killed, including 9 attackers. More than 300 people were wounded.
- 10 men in inflatable speedboats came ashore in two different locations in Colaba.
- One of Mumbai’s most famous, and busiest, landmarks Chatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus, a railway station that is always crowded was attacked by two trigger happy gunmen, Ismail Khan and Ajmal Kasab.
- Kasab was caught alive by the police and successfully identified by eyewitnesses.
- Leopold Café, another popular tourist landmark was the first site to be attacked. If you visit, you can still see the bullet holes in the walls there.
- Two explosions in Taxi’s were caused by timer bombs, killing 3 people and injuring about 15.
- Two Luxury Hotels, The Taj Mahal Palace Hotel and The Oberoi Trident were among the four locations targeted. Guests, including foreigners, were held hostage by the attackers and were later freed by Firefighters.
While the actual preparators were shot dead in the skirmish and the main suspect died in custody the actual culprits are still at large. It is only when they will be caught and punished is when true justice will be actually be done. Till then we will continue to regret that despite committing this horrific crime, they are still out there, roaming free.
Which is why this brand new Web Series ‘State of Siege 26/11’ is special to me. A ZEE5 Original, this eight-episode series is an adaption of the book by Sandeep Unnithan called Black Tornado: The Three Sieges of Mumbai 26/11.
This fictional account has a stellar cast of;
Mukul Dev (so good to see this talented actor back on screen after such a long time)
and an able supporting cast.
This slick and well-made series showcases different aspects and reveals the many facts about the unfortunate 26/11 attacks and the untold stories of the brave NSG commandos.
The trailer of the upcoming web series State of Siege: 26/11 is out and will bring back memories of the Mumbai attacks. Yet another crisp and informative series by ZEE5.