I have never liked the rain much. In spite of being a June baby.
The 6th of June was the day Mumbai unfailingly welcomed the monsoons each year. And the rains played spoilsport each birthday. Due to the debuting downpour, my birthday parties were invariably ruined. Which is why, I never liked the rains much, in spite of being a June baby.
I enjoy the rains when I am inside the house, safe, warm, and dry. Preferably, with a steaming cup of coffee and shortbread biscuits to go with it.
There are some things that I look forward to though.
* The heartwarming sight of the flaming Gulmohar welcoming the monsoon.
* Fat raindrops that rush headlong to meet the earth only to shatter into a million crystal slivers.
* The resounding rumble of thunder followed by the impulsive bolt of lightning illuminating the sky for one brilliant moment!
* The freshly showered trees preening in the wind.
* Mercurial silver puddles that change shape on a whim.
* Chubby raindrops clinging on for dear life onto the tips of leaves and branches.
* The overcast day with the cool wind fanning you, even as you steal a worried look at the sky, hoping it won’t rain just yet, so you can enjoy the day a wee bit longer.
* The lullaby of the pitter-patter of rain put me to sleep.
* The pitter-patter of the rain gently nudges me awake from my slumber.
* Sitting by the window seat and watching people rush by with their clothes flying and their umbrellas turning turtle.
* Brightly colored umbrellas add much-needed color to a dull grey day.
* The different moods of the rain. Angry lashings, gentle sprays, naughty drizzles, morbid sheets.
* Walking in the rain. Sigh!
What I DON’T LIKE about the monsoons!
* The rain!
* Clothes don’t dry.
* The house gets all moist and yucky types!
* Hair turns frizzy and when you use conditioner it goes all limp!
* Whiteheads that appear on the face, due to the humidity the rainy season bring.
* Overcast days depress the hell out of me after a point of time!
* For some reason, which I could never analyze, there is always confusion when it rains. I guess the mind stops functioning. At least mine does!
* Water clogging.
* Horrible traffic.
* Muck everywhere!!!
* Biscuits & crisps go soggy.
* Bombay ki barsaat! Ek ghante aayegi, aur tabahi macha jayegi!
* Have to miss my walk when it rains (I did try walking wearing a properly zipped up windcheater, with disastrous results!)
* Can’t wear your good shoes!
* The unbearable heat after the rains! Whew!