Disclaimer: All views and methods expressed here are my own. Please follow them at your own discretion. I shall not be held responsible for the results they may show on you, whatever they may be.
When my friend, Ensiya Kothari, shared the ingredients of this Hair Oil , which I have named the Miracle Hair Oil , with me I thought she was joking!
“Onions, garlic, curry leaves, are you kidding me? Are we making a chutney, or hair oil?” I laughed.
Then I saw she was serious and had shared her tried and tested recipe after I remarked on the change I noticed in her hair. It was fuller, looked glossy and the length had increased considerably as well. Ensiya loves taking care of herself using natural products, and is always reading up and using things she rustles up in the kitchen, so it was safe to say that her recipe had got me curious, and how!
So the first thing I did as soon as I got home was assembled the ingredients for the Oil. Luckily I had everything on hand, even a brand new ½ litre Coconut Oil bottle.
The paste took me 5 minutes to make and boiling that with the oil took another 15 minutes. So in 20 minutes I had the oil in my kadhai. I left it overnight and strained it well the next day, and it was ready to use.
I have been using the Hair Oil since February, I have used it once a week, though ideally twice a week works better, and I am beginning to see these results;
Hair fall has reduced by a LOT more than half
Hair has become darker and glossier
Hair has become smoother
I see new hair growth sprouting in places where my scalp used to be visible
The Oil, when applied, relaxes me and I sleep better
A noticeable reduction in the frizziness of hair as well
— Amrita Basu (Misra) (@misra_amrita) April 29, 2017
So after reading all of the above you surely want to know how to make this Miracle Hair Oil yourself, right?
Here is the recipe, with pictures.
I used Pure & Sure organic Coconut Oil to make my 2nd batch of this Miracle Oil. Get it here;
Disclaimer: This is an Amazon Affiliate Link. That means, if you do click on the link and buy the product I will get a small fee. This in no way affects the product price for you. I recommend only products I personally buy and use.
- ½ Litre pure Coconut Oil ( Organic Oil works best but you could use Parachute Coconut Oil too)
- 1 medium sized Onion, peeled (regular Red Onion/Kanda/Pyaaz)
- 5 Sambhar Onions, peeled (available as Red Shallots, is you're living outside India)
- 5 medium sized cloves of Garlic, peeled
- Leaves from 10 Stems of Kadipatta (Curry Leaves)
- 1 heaped Tbsp Methi Dana
- (Soak methi seeds for 4-5 hours. Drain the water post soaking)
- Chop the onions and garlic and roughly rip the curry leaves.
- Add ALL the ingredients , EXCEPT the Coconut Oil, to a mixie and and grind it to a fine paste WITHOUT adding any water to it.
- In a Kadhai ( I used a cast iron Kadhai, but you could use a regular one ) first add the Oil and then add the paste to it and mix well.
- Switch on the flame and stir as you let the oil come to a boil with the paste in it.
- Lower the flame to a simmer and let it cook till the onion/garlic/kadipatta mixture darkens, as shown in the picture below (it took me 10-15 minutes)
- P:S: Concentrate on the mix which should darken. The Oil DOES NOT turn black.
- Switch off the flame, cover and keep aside overnight.
- Strain and use.
- P:S: After I poured the Oil through a strainer I let the mixture sit in it for an hour, till all the oil had left the mixture. Strain the mixture as best as you can, using your hands or the back of a spoon to squeeze out the maximum amount of oil from it. Discard the mixture after you get out the oil. Do not use the mixture.