Z is for …Zunka #AtoZChallenge

Zunka

Zunka

Zunka Bhakar is a popular food in Maharashtra.

If you Google Zunka you’ll see top Chef’s like Sanjeev Kapoor and Tarla Dalal’s recipes for it. It can also be found on the menu of some restaurants. Funnily enough Zunka is now considered a diet food as well as it is low on calories and rich in fiber.

Zunka is a spicy preparation of Gram Flour (Besan) made with Onion, Garlic and seasonings. The perfect accompaniment for Zunka is Bhakar – a flatbread made of Jowar Flour.

Zunka Bhakar is the food Farmers carry from home to the fields and is the only meal they have till dusk. Raw Onions, Techa (a super spicy Maharashtrian style red or green chilly and garlic paste ) and Raw Green Chillies enhance the simple and flavors of Zunka and Bhakar, and spiced buttermilk washes down this delicious combination perfectly.

Life as we know is moving at a hectic pace. Before we realise it, months of a new year have gone by in a whoosh!

Where have the days, weeks, months and years gone, we often wonder.

Well, in the humdrum of existence, of getting up, working, sleeping and repeating this rigmarole day in and day out!

What we need to do to make life interesting is ass some zing to everyday routines. Break the pattern and change habits regularly and surprise yourself.

Take a different route to work and see new sights. Watch or read an unexplored genre of film or book and learn something new. Splurge a little, if you’re always saving and start saving, if you’re always splurging. Wear a color you’ve always shied away from. Ah, the list is endless, once you start thinking!

After all as the famous quote goes, ‘You were not born to just pay bills and die.’

Sirimiri

Mocktail Mommies

April 30, 2017 at 10:53 am

Zunka is one of my favourites. In fact, we make it at our place once every fortnight. Tasty, nutritious and tummy-filling. Agree about adding some Zing to our daily life too!!
    Prasanna from Team Mocktailmommies

April 30, 2017 at 3:06 pm

I haven’t heart of this dish before. I wonder how it tastes like though.
    Loved the idea about trying something new. It keeps like interesting 🙂

April 30, 2017 at 3:36 pm

Our staple with bhakri for so many years!! Humble and tasty Zunka!
    Enjoyed this food journey with you, Mayuri!
    And Thank you for being a part of mine!

Shubhangi @ The Little Princess

April 30, 2017 at 5:30 pm

I am going to try making this delicious Zunka !It sounds delicious and easy to make.

April 30, 2017 at 5:32 pm

I honestly had not heard of this one… must try it.

Congrats on successfully finishing the AtoZcHALLENGE 🙂

Principal Mo Zhengao was a Truly Selfless Hero

Vinodini

April 30, 2017 at 7:23 pm

I love Zunka Bhakar. It used to be my staple diet during my Mumbai days. Congratulations on the successful completion of the challenge, Mayuri!

Fabida Abdulla

April 30, 2017 at 9:39 pm

I remember travelling to a hill station in Maharashtra and as we walked down the hills we found a little hut where they served bhakar. We had it with raw onions and thick curd – it was one of the most delicious meals I’ve ever had!!

Cheryl Sterling

April 30, 2017 at 10:12 pm

I love your last meme. Too many people believe they are here to pay the bills and die. I’m not one of them. I love to explore and try new things. Like your suggestion to make Zunka Bhakar.
    I’ve learned so much with the challenge, and made a lot of new connections. Looking forward to reading your future posts.

April 30, 2017 at 10:20 pm

Zunka and I thought it was an African dish. Thanks for helping me discover another new food item.

Loved your posts! Good luck with the book May❤️❤️

April 30, 2017 at 11:11 pm

Never heard of this zunka but looks yummy. It looks like bhaji of pavbhajii.
    I agree we should never forget to enjoy too. 🙂

May 1, 2017 at 7:45 am

We have stayed in Mumbai for 8 years and have passed through various Zunka Bhakar Kendra everyday, but I have never had it. Missed something interesting and healthy!!
    Congratulations for completing the AtoZ challenge, Mayuri. It was lovely to have your company all through April and got to know so many new dishes and so much about you too. Cheers ♥

Parul

May 1, 2017 at 9:23 am

I have never heard of Zunka. Now I need to find more about this dish. Great post and you did really well on the challenge. For me, the food on your posts was the real deal. New stuff and perfect pictures. Congrats!

May 1, 2017 at 2:03 pm

I haven’t even heard of it. How do you know so many unique recipes? You did an amazing A to Z with such a wide variety of food from across India. Congratulations on it.

May 1, 2017 at 3:09 pm

How’s it that I’ve never heard of this. Sounds interesting. Will look it up 🙂

Roma

May 1, 2017 at 6:46 pm

I haven’t had Zunka ever buddy. Glad to know about it.It was a pleasure being with you this AtoZ. Keep Shining

Ishieta @ Isheeria's

May 5, 2017 at 5:13 pm

loved your AtoZ! hadnt heard of many of the dishes you have shared! looking forward to your 2018 AtoZ 🙂

May 7, 2017 at 3:55 pm

Thanks, Ish!:)) Already started thinking of probable themes!:)))