Y is for… Yogurt Chutney #AtoZChallenge

Yogurt Chutney

Yogurt_Chutney

Yogurt Chutney is the literal translation of Perugu Pachadi a dish common and loved in Telugu households. It is the perfect accompaniment to Biryani’s, Rice, Khichdi’s or even our Punjabi Stuffed Parathas.

Though it may look and seem like a Raita, this quick to rustle up side dish, isn’t one.

For one, the chopped Onion,Tomatoes, and a hint of grated Ginger are sautéed in Oil, to which finely chopped Green Chillies, Curry Leaves  and dry Red Chillies have been added and sautéed. Seasonings are Salt to taste, Red Chilly Powder and Turmeric.

This mixture is cooked till done and left to cool.

While it cools we whip up the Dahi till it is smooth, without adding any water to it, as we need a thick base. Add a bit of Salt to it, keeping in mind the quantity you’ve added to the Tomato and Onion mix.

When the mix cools add it to the Dahi and leave it as a garnish or mix it in the Dahi. And you’re done!

Yogurt_Chutney

Enjoy it chilled.

I find it hard to understand this ’40 is the new 30’ or ‘30 is the new 20’ bit when it comes to birthdays and aging and I am always tempted to ask ‘Going by that calculation, is 10 the new fetus, then?’ * wide grin *

Every year you celebrate is a year worth cherishing. More so given what the world is facing these days. We wake up to news of Bomb Blasts, Massacres, and the like almost every day.

With children as young as toddlers losing their lives or their families we should consider ourselves fortunate that we could add another year to our lives, don’t you think so?

Age is truly just a number and being Youthful is what you should feel and strive to be mentally. As when you do so it makes its way to your appearance as well. Grow older, but not in your thoughts. Grow up but don’t become cynical. Have fun adapting to new changes. That is what being Young or Youthful should be all about.

AtoZChallenge

Roma

April 29, 2017 at 9:20 am

The yogurt chutney is mouth-watering, not tasted it so far and can I agree more to the face that let’s cherish every single moment of the blessing called life, not getting caught in numbers.

April 29, 2017 at 10:43 am

Yogurt Chutney… sounds interesting. We make this same recipe as a raita and recently at Shimla had this version as soup. The soup is a part of Himachali cuisine.
    LOL @ 10 the new fetus!! Yes, life is all about being youthful and alive, and not about numbers!

Mocktail Mommies

April 29, 2017 at 11:31 am

Lovely chutney recipe and so easy to make. Will try it next time instead of raita. Also loved the post about trying to be youthful. I think we should be grateful for good health bestiwed upon us rather than trying to concentrate on looks!!

Prasanna from Team Mocktailmommies

April 29, 2017 at 12:11 pm

Oh yea, we make it too! And we eat it with bisi bele bhat!!

Shubhangi @ The Little Princess

Asmita Pradhan

April 29, 2017 at 12:32 pm

Yogurt Chutney – Damn that’s something new that I would love to try out 🙂 So can we have this with Biryani too like Raita ?

April 29, 2017 at 12:37 pm

Oh yes, it tastes great with Biryani!:) Thanks for dropping by, Asmita:)

Kalpanaa

April 29, 2017 at 1:00 pm

I wish I had some right now. To eat with a paratha 🙂

April 29, 2017 at 1:31 pm

Is 10 the new fetus… Hahahahahahaha that’s hilarious
    Yeah it does look like raita. I might not have tried this version.

Vidya Sury

April 29, 2017 at 5:03 pm

“is 10 the new fetus, then?” Sigh. A reality check is what most people need.

I love anything with yogurt. Yummy!

April 29, 2017 at 8:13 pm

I need to follow the ’40 is the new 30′ mantra!! After all, I missed my entire 20s and mid-thirties living inside hospitals (seriously!)

Geetika

April 29, 2017 at 9:12 pm

This is so beautiful, M! One should actually be thankful for celebrating yet another year… I love the way you write in the end!

April 29, 2017 at 11:14 pm

Yogurt chutney – looks and sounds super yummy.

“10 is the new fetus” LOL!

Shalini

April 30, 2017 at 1:30 am

Grow older, but not in your thoughts – well said! 🙂
    I have never heard of Yogurt chutney! But I think I will love it.

Parul Thakur

May 1, 2017 at 2:51 pm

I can try that yogurt chutney. Looks yum and easy to make.
    On that 40 is the new 30 – ha ha! you are funny.
    I think the idea to use these phrases is to share that one should not get bogged down by the number. At 35, I feel 25. I am brimming with ideas, I am physically active and I would love to say 35 is the new 25. What say?

May 1, 2017 at 4:34 pm

This sounds very interesting M. I have never had a yogurt chutney, I make various raitas so I am assuming ill like this chutney too!

Amrita Basu (Misra)

May 2, 2017 at 8:52 am

Yoghurt chutney sounds amazing.I would love to do this one at home as a side dish to parathas .It will be awesome.