O is for… Obbattu #AtoZChallenge

Obbattu

Obbattu. Holige, Parpu Poli. Bobbatlu. Bobattu or Puran Poli as I know it as, from growing up in Bombay.

Many names, slight variations in the recipe and just the same deliciousness!

Obbattu is a delicious Roti/Flatbread stuffed plump with a mix of cooked Chana Dal and Jaggery with hints of powdered cardamom making a subtle appearance. Cooked to crisp perfection with liberal splashes of Ghee, eating this delight hot off the Tawa/Pan makes it extra delicious. The flaky outer layer gives way to the soft and sweet stuffing inside that just melts in your mouth.

Maida or all-purpose flour is usually used to knead the dough that makes the outer layer but Mom makes it with whole wheat flour and I follow her recipe.

Obbattu comes in 2 versions, a very thin dry version, that you could store for anything between 7-10 days and the fresh version which should not be stored for more than a single day.

The dry version is eaten by dipping bits of it in ghee while the fresh version is cooked in ghee. Coconut is an addition to the Chana dal and Jaggery mixture in some recipes and I love that variation as well.

Oil Pulling is an ancient Ayurvedic technique that involves swishing a teaspoon of Oil in your mouth, the first thing on waking up in the morning.This is done on an empty stomach. Doing so draws out the toxins from your body, improves overall health and works wonders on dental health.

What do you after swishing the oil in your mouth? You spit it out! And brush your teeth as you would each morning

It may sound a little crazy, but it is not. In the last 2 and a half years that I have been Oil Pulling I have visited a dentist only once, that too for a general checkup, which I passed with flying colors.

I use Sunflower Oil or Coconut for my Oil Pulling and as I am swishing the oil in my mouth I finish my morning chores like watering my plants, boiling the milk, getting the tea and coffee ready. I feel fresh after I’ve brushed my teeth and through the day. Try it, you have nothing to lose πŸ™‚

April 18, 2017 at 7:24 am

Oh I so love Pooran poli. Have not had it for years. Will you share yout mum’s recipe with me, please?

I have been hearing of oil pulling for a while, and it’s benefits. How long does one need to swish the oil in the mouth?

Another great post May.

Blog: natashamusing
    Theme: Travel Epiphanies
    Opal Sunsets & Ochre Sunrise

April 18, 2017 at 9:04 pm

Shall blog the Puran Poli and a detailed post on Oil Pulling very soon, Natz. Thanks for reading:)

April 18, 2017 at 7:30 am

Ah yes… I know this as Holige from my Mangalore days… a fav at home.

April 18, 2017 at 9:04 pm

Thanks for reading, Doc πŸ™‚

Bellybytes

April 18, 2017 at 9:21 am

And to think that my Puran poli was unique πŸ™
    I first realised it wasn’t when I saw the fat ones in the Parsi RTI. I was also amazed when I saw some in Kochi.
    And Oil Pulling – it’s strange but I just heard about that last month …. is the Universe trying to tell me something ?

April 18, 2017 at 9:06 pm

I would think The Universe surely is!:) Thanks for reading:)

April 18, 2017 at 9:29 am

Obbattu is something new for me, though I love having Puran Poli. Our Maharashtrian neighbor would send piles of puran polis on special occasions.
    Oil Pulling is interesting. Never heard of it. Would like to try it out!

April 18, 2017 at 9:07 pm

Obbattu and Puran Poli are the same, Shilpa:) Thanks for reading:)

April 18, 2017 at 11:35 am

Ohh, so this is what puran poli is ! I have heard a lot about it but never had it. Oil pulling is great too. I haven’t done it yet but i think i can give it a try

Mocktail mommies

April 18, 2017 at 12:50 pm

Everyone at home just loves Holige. We make it with whole wheat flour though. The ghee servings with them, I would say, generous!!

April 18, 2017 at 9:10 pm

I make it with whole wheat flour as well, and it is equally delicious, na? Thanks for reading:)

Namratha

April 18, 2017 at 1:10 pm

Love Obbattu. we usually make on festival days.. And Oil pulling! definitely trying it.. never heard of it before!

Celebrating ‘Women & their work’ all April @NamySaysSo Natural Organic Soap Maker

April 18, 2017 at 9:11 pm

I will be blogging about Oil Pulling, do read it and give it a shot. Thanks for dropping by, Namratha:)

Menaka Bharathi

April 18, 2017 at 1:27 pm

I make Obattu Mayuri! I just love the fillings and sometimes try to change it with nuts and other such ingredients. My children just love them.
    Launching SIM Organics This April
    *Menaka Bharathi *
    *SimpleIndianMom*

April 18, 2017 at 9:12 pm

I love it too! Thanks for dropping by, MB:)

Suzy

April 18, 2017 at 1:59 pm

I know this as the Gujarati puran poli or galvedmi. My dad was very fond of this

Suzy at Someday Somewhere – Open Doors

April 18, 2017 at 9:13 pm

It is the same thing under a different name, Suzy. thanks for reading πŸ™‚

Amrita Basu (Misra)

April 18, 2017 at 2:38 pm

My Gujrati friend used to treat us to Puran poli and I loved it.I still remember the taste.Oil pulling sounds interesting. Will check it out definitely

April 18, 2017 at 4:39 pm

I love this and the first time I had it in Bangalore only. There is something with just jaggery and I like that too. Don’t know whats it called.
    Never heard of Oil pulling before. But I am going to try it.

April 18, 2017 at 9:15 pm

I think the one with Jaggery is called Bellam Poli, and I love that too!:) Thanks for reading, Deepa πŸ™‚

Shalini

April 18, 2017 at 6:58 pm

Wow! I so love Puranpoli. Never knew about this name though. I had it recently when P’s senior officer invited us for lunch. Should try making it sometime! πŸ™‚

April 18, 2017 at 9:16 pm

It is super easy, Shalini. Do give it a go! Thanks for reading:)

April 18, 2017 at 7:18 pm

Puran Poli I had when I was in Pune, but it didn’t become my favorite. Oil pulling you’ve been practising since 2 and a half years?!! I read about it sometime back and I doubt I will ever be able to do it!

April 18, 2017 at 9:17 pm

Hahahahhaha, no worries, GG:) Thanks for reading:)

Reema D'souza

April 18, 2017 at 9:21 pm

I love holige and I just gobble as many as possible when I get to eat them πŸ˜›

April 18, 2017 at 9:25 pm

Me too! Thanks for reading, Reema!:)

Ishieta @ Isheeria's

April 19, 2017 at 6:23 pm

this is a very interesting post! both Obbattu and oil pulling sound very interesting πŸ™‚ i have heard of oil pulling, but didnt realise its basically only swishing around in the mouth, but for how long?

upasna

April 19, 2017 at 7:46 pm

I had dried version of Puran poli while I was in Mumbai.

Disha

April 20, 2017 at 11:55 pm

Miss my Mumbai Days, when I used to savor Puran poli made by my friend’s mother. I had learnt the recipe from her & now indulge in this sweetness very often πŸ™‚

Mithila Menezes

April 22, 2017 at 4:52 pm

Oh yes puran poli! It’s been a long while since I’ve eaten it πŸ™‚

This is the first time I’m coming across this concept of Oil pulling. I am a bit scared to try it. Maybe I’ll do so once the braces come off? πŸ˜€

April 22, 2017 at 4:55 pm

Obbattu my love
    Oil pulling is something I am hearing for the first time! No harm in trying πŸ™‚