M is for… #AtoZChallenge

Meethe Chawal

The literal translation of Meethe Chawal is Sweet Rice and they were cooked at home often when I was growing up. Whenever there was an occasion worth celebrating, or occasions were created when there were none, we had Meethe Chawal on the table. And in a joint family of 12 + people there were always reasons to celebrate, genuine or otherwise, believe me!

From school and college admissions to exams getting over, from India winning a cricket match to my Uncle’s friend sister getting engaged, excuses were cooked up, so that Meethe Chawal could be cooked! 🙂

This simple and delicious dish is also known as Zarda Pulao. Basmati Rice should be used to bring out the best look and taste of this fragrant dish delicately flavored and hued by Saffron. Cardamom powder and dry fruits enhance its taste and my favorite dry fruit, Chironji, adds that crunch to the mouthful of sweetness savoring this dish would bring.

After Food and Travel my one big passion is Movies! I love watching movies in the theatre, on the big screen. Once the lights go low, darkness wraps up the cinema hall and the movie begins, I forget the whole world. It is just me, the characters and the story that I become part of. I absolutely abhor talking, or people who talk, during a film.

I am that annoying person sitting in the next seat or two rows above you who will shush you if you talk during the film. People who talk loudly on the mobile get my death stare, if they are in visible distance of it. Good movies, bad movies, very bad movies I will watch them all even as I seek joy from them, grumble away at them or later curse them by writing a scathing review about them.

There is something magical about a story unfolding in front of you, and as it does a parallel story unfolds in my mind. The work of so many technicians, actors and of course the Captain of the Ship, the director, and me wondering how a certain shot must’ve been filmed or how the lyricist thought of certain lines for a said situation, or what must go through an actor’s mind as they give a specific shot. Does this explain why I like my peace and quiet and need full concentration to watch a film?

April 15, 2017 at 12:39 pm

Hhaha!!!! That is how I am… Ditto!! I cannot stand people making noise, or talk in between the film or chit-chatting over every single outfit that the actress wears! And I don’t mind shushing them as well! After all, I don’t want to ruin my entertainment time, right?!

April 15, 2017 at 6:48 pm

Of course! Hi – five, GG!:)

Suzy

April 15, 2017 at 1:46 pm

You brought back memories of my childhood. At our place it was the Gujarati shiro – any excuse to make and eat that.

Suzy at Someday Somewhere – Music is

April 15, 2017 at 6:52 pm

I love Shiro too, Suzy! Thank you for reading:)

Reema D'souza

April 15, 2017 at 2:32 pm

Meethe Chawal sounds yummy! And I am not a movies person but I get annoyed if anyone talks loudly while I am occasionally watching one!

April 15, 2017 at 4:15 pm

Oh I love Meethe chawal Mayuri. Your post reminded me of gud wale chawal (Jaggery rice) made by my mom. Yum! I make it sometimes but my girls dont like it that much.
    I also love movies and watching them in theater.

April 15, 2017 at 6:55 pm

You must share your Gud Wale Chawal recipe with me, Deepa! Thanks for reading!:)

April 15, 2017 at 7:33 pm

Meethe Chawal is yummy! I wonder if it’d taste the same with jaggery.

April 16, 2017 at 8:21 am

I plan to make it with Jaggery and find out, Shubhangi. Thanks for reading 🙂

April 16, 2017 at 10:20 am

My mom makes the best meethe chawal. Any sudden happy celebratory occasion at home would see her making meethe chawal. This reminds that it’s been a long time since I had them.
    I love watching movies in theatre too and when at home in total peace without interruptions. Yes, people who talk or disturb in a movie cinema get a death stare from me too. LOL 😀

April 16, 2017 at 11:40 am

That sounds great M. Anything sweet is always a hit with me!

April 16, 2017 at 2:29 pm

Oh I hate it when people chat during a movie. So I’m glad the DH is the same too. I also become one with the characters and hate any kind of distractions.

My Tai used to make the most amazing meetha chawal. She is no more unfortunately.

Blog: natashamusing
    Theme: Travel Epiphanies
    Mighty Cerulean Sea

April 16, 2017 at 10:37 pm

Meetha chawal sounds great Mayuri.I have had the sweet pulao made with saffron and dry fruits.Probably the same one.I love movies , but I like talking during weird stuff happening on screen .You will probably shush me!Enjoyed reading this

April 17, 2017 at 9:36 am

Oh, isn’t this also known as zafrani pulao? My mom taught me how to make it once long ago.

Menaka Bharathi

April 17, 2017 at 9:10 pm

That’s sounds like an interesting recipe…Never heard of it..I am one of person who love to talk in the theatre like the heorine is wearing something nice na..i am sure i will get a stare from u next time LOL 🙂

April 22, 2017 at 4:48 pm

My bestie is like that. Has to watch all the movies on the big screen. No matter how good or bad they are! Unfortunately, it is my bestie I am talking about and I get dragged along, even though I am not that crazy about movies! Sigh