J is for… #AtoZChallenge

Jackfruit Halwa

I absolutely love Jackfruit! Isn’t it ironical how such an unattractive looking and cumbersome to cut through lump can hold such a delicious and fragrant fruit inside? Summer is the season of Jackfruits and I relish it in its various forms. When I saw Jackfruit Biryani on the menu on on our visit to Kerala I promptly ordered it, and enjoyed every spoonful!

I love how versatile this fruit with the funny name, Jackfruit, is and how it can be used to dish up both sweet and savory dishes.

I went to the market last week and sight of the fragrance of jackfruit bulbs was too tempting to pass by and I returned home carrying a big bag of them. After enjoying a few I wanted to use the fruit in a different manner and after going through a few recipes online I decided to come up with a simple one and we had Jackfruit Halwa for our post dinner treat.

The health benefits of this fruit are so many as well that there is no reason to ignore it. I sometimes even dream of aiming one at the heads of people I don’t like…..;))))))

I have something in common with Bappi Lahiri. We are gold-mates, only thing is he doesn’t know it, yet. Among many other things I love, I LOVE Jewellery!

Diamonds are certainly this girls BFF’s, but my love for Gold is on par with that of Bappi Lahiri’s, save for the fact that I refrain from wearing the contents of all my lockers together (thank god for small mercies!)

I love classic pieces of jewellery that stand the test of time, look good and are comfortable to wear. In fact there was a time when I was so disgruntled with readymade pieces on display at my jewelers that I used to design my own jewellery. Those pieces are cherished possessions now. Btw, I cannot understand women who don’t like jewellery, I just cannot, and yes I know there are many.

Jutti’s are another passion! Handmade jutti’s from the Indian State of my roots, the magnificient Punjab, are the ultimate in comfort and style and an as yet untapped style quotient upper as far as I am concerned. I just wonder why more people don’t wear them.

April 12, 2017 at 9:24 am

I have had jackfruit halwa only once in my life. The other day my husband made raw jacfruit curry and I totally fell in love with that version. I prefer golden ones more than silver but not too much into jewellery

April 12, 2017 at 12:13 pm

I love the curry too!:) Thanks for reading, Raj:)

manisha lakhe

April 12, 2017 at 9:45 am

jackfruit halva… i am never ever going to be thin ever again…

April 12, 2017 at 12:14 pm

And now you know why I am fat!:)))

April 12, 2017 at 9:46 am

Love Jackfruit kheer or halwa too.The best part , it needs little or no additional sugar and is delicious.I am a fan of the fruit too .Bengalis make savoury dishes with the tender fruit too and that’s a delight for the taste buds .

April 12, 2017 at 12:16 pm

Yes, I love it for it’s versatility. Thanks for reading, Amrita:)

Ramya Abhinand

April 12, 2017 at 10:39 am

Jackfruit halwa??? Though I love the fruit I have never had this…

I love juttis too… For me jewellery has to be light and practical to use. Not really my favourite ..

April 13, 2017 at 6:58 pm

Oh, the halwa is delicious, Ramya! Glad you love juttis as well! Thanks for reading!:)

April 12, 2017 at 10:50 am

They make a sabzi with the seeds of raw jackfruit and I cannot stop eating it whenever it’s made! Also, roasted jackfruit seeds are yum. But then again, like you mentioned, so tedious to cut and chop.

April 13, 2017 at 6:56 pm

I am going to search for the recipe now, as you’ve got me curious, Sreesha! Thanks for reading!:)

Roma

April 12, 2017 at 12:10 pm

I would love to taste jackfruit halwa someday But yes like you I am a sucker of jewellery not necessarily good, all kinds.

April 13, 2017 at 3:30 pm

Hope to meet you someday soon, Roma. I think we’ll get along great!:) Thanks for reading:)

April 12, 2017 at 12:56 pm

Not very fond of jackfruit and haven’t had its halwa, ever. So you’re a gold fan, eh? Again, this is where we’re different. I like it but not that much!

You used to design your own jewellery? That is so wonderful, M!

upasna

April 12, 2017 at 3:37 pm

I only had Jackfruit as vegetable and I like dry version. Let me checkout the Halwa recipe. My heart too goes for Punjabi Jutti.I always had 2-3 in my collection until I became a Mother. Now, its thin sole makes walking difficult.

April 13, 2017 at 3:23 pm

I haven’t blogged the Halwa Recipe yet, Upasana. Shall do so. Thanks for reading:)

Sheethal

April 12, 2017 at 4:59 pm

This is something my grandma used to make and I absolutely loved it.

April 12, 2017 at 9:48 pm

Hehe loved the line – I sometimes even dream of aiming one at the heads of people I don’t like…..;))))))
    I have never had jackfruit halwa but loved its sabzi my mom used to make. I loved it and cant imagine making it as cutting it a hard work.

April 13, 2017 at 3:20 pm

Arre you get cut jackfruit in the market, why labour over the task! Thanks for reading, Deepa:)

Kaddu

April 12, 2017 at 10:40 pm

Hi Mayuri!
    Jackfruit halwa! 😀 It’s bad enough cutting it, you actually go ahead and mash it up for halwa! You must really like it a lot.
    I love gold jewelry more than diamonds. Not the flimsy designs though… I love solid pieces.
    Happy AtoZing!
    Chicky @ http://www.mysteriouskaddu.com

April 13, 2017 at 3:18 pm

Lololol! Yes, I do love jackfruit, a lot!:))) Thanks for reading, Chicky:)

April 12, 2017 at 10:56 pm

have had this… extremely yummy. We grow our own jackfruits at home… man, do they grow big! 😀
    And so sticky! Everyone will know when we are eating them with the smell 🙂

April 13, 2017 at 3:12 pm

Oh wow! Fruits from your own tree must taste fabulous! Thanks for reading, Doc!:)

April 13, 2017 at 3:31 pm

I find jackfruit and its smell repulsive, I even hated it when my grandma kept ripe jackfruit in the kitchen, the entire house felt nauseating for me. And my story with gold is legendary. I am exactly opposite of my mum who is another gold mate of Bappi Lahiri!

Menaka Bharathi

April 13, 2017 at 5:24 pm

Never had a jackfruit halwa….think i need to try this recipe….Jewellery who doesn’t love it??? I love terracotta ones which really go well with cotton sarees

Launching SIM Organics This April
    *Menaka Bharathi *
    *SimpleIndianMom*

April 14, 2017 at 10:06 am

I have never had jackfruit halwa. In fact in North, I havent seen jackfruit being cooked in any other way than the vegetable. In fact we dont even see ripe jackfruits which is so commonly seen in Maharashtra and down South too.

I love juttis too, though I am more biased towards mojaris. And I am not fond of jewellery, yes, that’s a blasphemy. I know 😀

April 22, 2017 at 4:35 pm

Jackfruit Biriyani? I can’t even imagine what it would taste like! Jackfruit is my mom’s favorite 🙂
    And as for the jewellery love, Bappi Lahiri will be pleased to know about his Gold-mate 😉