F is for… AtoZChallenge

Farsan

Farsan is the umbrella under which a whole list of delicious snacks come under. Loved by Gujrati’s, and more than Gujrati’s by ME, these savory snacks are enjoyed with meals, with an evening cup of tea or coffee or just whenever you want to.

Farsan’s can be deep fried, or freshly made or steamed or just dry items that can be stored for a few days and some even for a few weeks. Dhokla, Bhajiya, Khandvi, Sev, Chakli’s, Ghaitiyas, tiny Samosas and Kachori’s are a few form a long list.

I have never met anyone outside of Bombay who has even heard of the term Farsan, until and unless that person is a Gujrati. Farsans are appetite spoilers and so delicious that you cannot stop at one. I look forward to a Gujrati Thaali or an invite for a Gujrati wedding only for the mouth watering Farsans served.

If there is anything I love more than my Family it is Food! And in food I love and enjoy the snacks and desserts more than I probably enjoy the main meals. I grew up with a Dad who is passionate about food and a Mom who is not only a fabulous cook but someone who loves trying out new cuisines. Mom makes the best (veg) Dhan Shak, Varan, Undhiyo, Pasta, Moong Dal Barfi and Halwa among many other things. Mom is a Rajasthani and Dad is a Punjabi and then we lived in Bombay, which ensured that our palette was acquainted with a host of flavors. Thanks to which I find it easy to adjust to and relish every kind of cuisine and I am not fussy about getting ‘my food’ Strangely the simple and everyday food I rejected while I was growing up, like our Sunday staples like Rajma and Chole, or everyday food like Masoor and Moong Dal and even vegetables like Tinda and Karela, I now find myself craving for. Sometimes I look to replicate the flavors that my Mom’s cooking bought to the dishes while at other times I add a Telugu twist to my cooking and create a brand new flavor. The Further I soar from my home, my hometown and my people the more I find myself digging in my roots. I wonder if this is what is called the circle of life.

April 7, 2017 at 9:00 am

We are all dhokla and khandvi lovers in our family but as you said I didnt know its called farsans. And same pinch as food is my favourite too after the family. I think we all love our maa ke haath ka khana and try to replicate it but never get that taste. I think I will be making dhokla today 🙂

April 7, 2017 at 3:33 pm

Thanks for reading, Deepa:)

April 7, 2017 at 9:05 am

I have a college best friend who is Gujrati and she had the best of these ,served at home by her mom.I loved the tiny khandvis, dhoklas, and all sorts of delicious fried goodies Your family is a melting pot of cultures and traditions.No wonder your stories are so rich and textured.Roots I imagine are in a hydroponic solutuon.Soil makes it seem too difficult!Lovely reading

April 7, 2017 at 3:34 pm

I laughed aloud at the hydrophonic solution, Amrita!:))) Thanks for reading!:)

Shalini

April 7, 2017 at 9:29 am

Ufff I have been avidly avoiding food blogs(apologies) as they make very hungry…. But Farsan is my ultimate fav too- infact I think it’s my rajasthani blood that is in love with besan wala foods like gattey, kadhi, khandvi (I can polish a kg on my own in one sitting) , dhokla, phaphara….ummmm I am hungry n cranky now
    Love the weave of personal food memories n emotions in your post.
    Flower power

April 7, 2017 at 3:35 pm

Thanks for reading, Shalini.True that, we Rajasthani’s are attracted to all things besan!:)

Ramya Abhinand

April 7, 2017 at 10:22 am

A post discussing food all through! I have never tried farsan though I have heard so much about it. And surely you have been exposed to different kinds of cuisine.

April 7, 2017 at 3:36 pm

And I am very glad for that:) Thanks for reading, Ramya:)

April 7, 2017 at 2:16 pm

This post is all kinds of yummy. It’s been ages since I had khandvi. I’ve looked up recipes online, but I find it too difficult to make it at home 🙁

April 7, 2017 at 3:37 pm

You could follow mine, you’ll find it in the post if you click on Khandvi 🙂 Thanks for reading, Sreesha:)

Roma Gupta Sinha

April 7, 2017 at 4:10 pm

Even I came to learn the word Farsan when I moved to Pune and love every thing tangy under the umbrella. Pleasure knowing about the diverse variety your mom cooks…am already drooling

April 7, 2017 at 8:56 pm

Yay! Again one more I know courtesy my old neighbour… and love this one too.

April 7, 2017 at 10:50 pm

Me too!! Not a huge fan of the main course, but love my snacks and desserts! And Khandvi… I love them… my mom makes amazing khandvi!

April 11, 2017 at 11:07 am

Mom’s make the most delicious things, don’t they! Thanks for reading, GG!:)

Vidya Sury

April 8, 2017 at 12:21 am

Rajasthani+ Punjabi +Mumbai and now AP…best combo ever for food and family! Yummy. I love farsan too, but can’t indulge any more! 🙂

April 11, 2017 at 11:09 am

Hahahaha, true that, Vidya. Also, never say never, medical science is making great progress:)

April 8, 2017 at 8:02 am

Fasran is something new to me. Hadn’t even heard about this before!I like the sound of it 😀

April 11, 2017 at 11:11 am

The taste of it is even more likeable!:))) Thanks for reading, Swathi!:)

April 8, 2017 at 11:25 am

Yes this is such a Bombay food – when i was in Mumbai people wanted extra Farsan at the canteen at work – without that supposedly their breakfast wasn’t complete!

April 11, 2017 at 11:12 am

I know!:))) Thanks for reading, Tina!:)

April 8, 2017 at 3:53 pm

I feel like grabbing those tempting farsan off my laptop screen. Pakoras, dhoklas, namkeen is something that I can have anytime.
    Wow, I like the different Indian cuisines and flavours that find space on your dining table. Really cool 🙂

Ishieta@Isheeria

April 8, 2017 at 6:39 pm

I haven’t heard of the name, but i love these. The pictures are so awesome, that i m hungry now!
    I agree, we do come full circle… We love d very things from our childhood, with a new appreciation.

April 11, 2017 at 11:13 am

I love your comments on my post, Ish. Thanks so much for reading 🙂

Shalini R

April 8, 2017 at 8:36 pm

Wow! And how much I love namkeen 🙂 You are bringing out something new everyday, Mayuri. I am getting to learn a lot 🙂

April 11, 2017 at 11:14 am

Glad to hear that, Shalini. My mom calls Farsan Namkeen too 🙂 Thank you for reading:)

Mithila Menezes

April 9, 2017 at 10:46 pm

Oh yeah farsan! I didn’t know that non-Mumbaikars didn’t know about farsan. I thoughts it’s reach was universal, thanks to its comfort and tastiness!

My favourite farsan has to be dhokla (yellow one, not white) and onion bhajiya. Khakhra is another favourite!

April 11, 2017 at 11:18 am

I detest white dhokla too! And love khahkra!:) Thanks for reading, MM!