D is for… AtoZChallenge

Dal Dhokli

Dal Dhokli is a traditional dish from the Gujrat region of Western India. It is a one-pot, delicious and healthy meal. Wheat Flour and Gram Flour are mixed, seasoned with spices and kneaded into a dough. The dough is then rolled out into a medium thick roti which is then cut into strips.

The Dal cooked is a medley of flavors, spicy and tangy with a hint of sweetness and peanuts making frequent appearances. The strips of dough are cooked in this watery Dal and by the time they are done the Dal turns thick, and you have a delicious Dal Dhokli.

One of the many advantages of growing up in Bombay was the cosmopolitan neighbors and friends and a Mom who loved to learn and cook different cuisines. That was one reason we grew up eating a variety of foods. Whenever I tasted food that I liked I urged my mother to replicate the dish for me, and she did. When Mom made Dal Dhokli for the first time it was way better than the neighbor Aunty’s ,whom she had learnt it from. And now when I cook it now, Mom tells me that my Dal Dhokli is far better than hers Β πŸ˜€

Dal Dhokli is one of my comfort foods. A bowl of this delicious dish and a book on the side makes for the perfect meal for me. The mΓ©lange of flavors of this dish stirs up something akin in memory too, little flashbacks of my home city and home, of the innocence of childhood and the happiness that little things bought. Of my Mother cooking it and the heavenly aroma tantalizing my nostrils and taste buds, and as I relish every spoonful I walk down Nostalgia Lane again.

You know I absolutely abhor being referred to as Dear. Or Darling. Or any other term of endearment.

Why?

Honestly, it makes me feel like a Gangsters Moll! * Mona, Darling * and when you address me as such you remind me of Loin Ajit, the baddie all suited and booted in White, with a hideous ginger beard and hair.

Or, you remind me of wrinkled Aunties, enveloped in the fragrance of lavender/rose water/talcum powder who dear and darling everyone * yes, my memories associated are that detailed *

In fact, I abhor these endearments so much even my Husband has been forbidden from using them.

So you see it’s not you, it’s me!

I have such a lovely name, why wouldn’t you want to address me by that?

Or by my initial M.

Like James Bond addresses his Lady Boss, M.

April 5, 2017 at 11:34 am

Lol πŸ˜€ Point noted. Never to used dear while talking to you πŸ˜€

Doctors and Dentists

April 5, 2017 at 8:44 pm

* grin * Thanks for reading, Swathi!:)

April 5, 2017 at 1:53 pm

I have not had daal dhokli .It sounds amazingly delicious and comforting.Lucky that your mom made you all those great dishes.

April 5, 2017 at 8:46 pm

It tastes just as you described it, Amrita. Yes, my mom rocks! Thanks for reading.

April 5, 2017 at 2:58 pm

Lol! Next time, I’ll be careful! And won’t address you as dear!!

Dal Dhokli, I’ve heard the first time! Never had it ever!

April 5, 2017 at 8:47 pm

Do try it if you can, GG:) Thanks for reading:)

Roma Gupta Sinha

April 5, 2017 at 3:50 pm

Mouth Watering Dal Dhokli M πŸ™‚ Will try soon…
    Truly Yours Roma

April 5, 2017 at 4:23 pm

Haha…thanks for the warning. I will be careful dear M. .oops sorry M.
    I had dal dhokli once and loved it. But never tried making it.

April 5, 2017 at 8:48 pm

Lol, Deepa!
      Thanks for reading, the recipe is included, if you would like to try it.

Ramya Abhinand

April 5, 2017 at 5:28 pm

Shall bear it in mind so that when I meet you I will not use the words you have mentioned Dal Dhokli have heard about it but have never tasted it so far

April 5, 2017 at 8:49 pm

Thanks for reading, Ramya πŸ™‚

Shalini

April 5, 2017 at 5:34 pm

Damn right! I don’t know you, you don’t know me. We just met. Don’t ‘baby’ me, right? Phew!
    I haven’t heard of this dish! Well, I haven’t heard of many dishes. But this I should try. Thanks Mayuri πŸ™‚

April 5, 2017 at 8:50 pm

Thank you for understanding, Shalini!
      The recipe is included in the post if you’d like to try πŸ™‚

Kala Ravi

April 5, 2017 at 5:59 pm

Now all I can think of is Daal Dhokli! Wicked of you to describe it so tantalizingly! I have to go scrounge in my kitchen or cook up something really scrumptious asap! Loved reading about your nostalgic comfort food M!

Novemberschild

April 5, 2017 at 6:36 pm

Dal Dhokli is a traditional Gujarati dish. This recipe consists of spicy whole wheat uncooked roti pieces simmered into dal and cooked to perfection. Dal dhokli has a mild sweet and spicy flavor. Dal dhokli also makes a delightful one dish meal. Serve with plain rice, drizzle some ghee and lemon juice on top right before serving dal dhokli. Dal dhokli should be served hot.

April 5, 2017 at 6:45 pm

Dear Mayuri Darling… kitna badiya dish hai! Loin ko khilao….Kyunki saara shehar daal dhokhli ka deewana hai! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ okay okay, don’t kill me now M…

Shubhangi @ The Little Princess

April 5, 2017 at 10:08 pm

Lolololol! I am laughing to hard to harm you, Shubhangi!:))))

zainab

April 5, 2017 at 7:56 pm

So, I like this new food-dal dhokli πŸ™‚
    And, I love being called Z- or my name too.
    πŸ˜‰

April 5, 2017 at 9:46 pm

Surprisingly, I have had this. My neighbour was a Gujarati and she used to cook this and share. And yes, it was comfort food back then too. Lovely stuff.

Neha

April 5, 2017 at 9:53 pm

I knew there was daal and there was dhokla! This interesting remix, I had never heard of! Will definitely try

April 5, 2017 at 10:44 pm

I have very little knowledge in Gujarati cuisine. First when I read the title i thought it was dhoklas dipped in dal!!

April 6, 2017 at 2:06 am

I have had Dal Dhokli a few times at my friend’s place and quite liked it. Must try it out again when I visit Ahmedabad next month.
    I am with you on Dear and Darling. I hate it with a capital H πŸ˜€

Sanch @ Sanch Writes

April 6, 2017 at 4:34 pm

Depends on who says ‘dear’ or ‘darling’. Here in Aus, some elderly women will say ‘darl’ or ‘dear’ and I don’t mind that πŸ˜›

Dal Dhokli looks good…don’t think I’ve ever eaten that!

Diamante – Lifespan

Ishieta @ Isheeria's

April 6, 2017 at 7:30 pm

oh dear! What would be an apt endearment for you then Madam M?!! I have no idea about this dish – I actually have never even heard of it, seen it, or eaten it! and I am wondering, doesn’t the dough stay un-cooked/kachha if its put into the liquid of the dal? or is it, cooked 1st like a roti, and then added to the dal?!

April 7, 2017 at 12:30 am

Yummmm, Drooool!!!! I’m trying Dal Dhokli over the weekend. Thanks M for this one. And great you clarified the “dear” “darling” endearments for everyones listening ears. You’ve got it out you way now. Time to celebrate!!!! Ta-da!

Shailaja Vishwanath

April 7, 2017 at 6:55 am

I’ve had this dish at a friend’s home and it was so delicious! Then again I love food so it’s easy to please me. Also, you don’t like darling? Why? It’s such a cute endearment between friends. You’ve been warned πŸ˜‰