The Miracle Hair Oil – A Tried and Tested Recipe

Disclaimer: All views and methods expressed here are my own. Please follow them at your own discretion. I shall not be held responsible for the results they may show on you, whatever they may be.

When my friend, Ensiya Kothari, shared the ingredients of this Hair Oil , which I have named the Miracle Hair Oil , with me I thought she was joking!

Then I saw she was serious and had shared her tried and tested  recipe after I remarked on the change I noticed in her hair. It was fuller, looked glossy and the length had increased considerably as well. Ensiya loves taking care of herself using natural products, and is always reading up and using things she rustles up in the kitchen, so it was safe to say that her recipe had got me curious, and how!

So the first thing I did as soon as I got home was assembled the ingredients for the Oil. Luckily I had everything on hand, even a brand new ½ litre Coconut Oil bottle.

The paste took me 5 minutes to make and boiling that with the oil took another 15 minutes. So in 20 minutes I had the oil in my kadhai. I left it overnight and strained it the next day, and it was ready to use.

I have been using the Hair Oil since February, I have used it once a week, though ideally twice a week works better, and I am beginning to see these results;

Hair fall has reduced by a LOT more than half

Hair has become darker and glossier

Hair has become smoother

I see new hair growth sprouting in places where my scalp used to be visible

The Oil, when applied, relaxes me and I sleep better

A noticeable reduction in the frizziness of hair as well

Dr Amrita Basu, an ENT Surgeon made and used this hair oil and shares more tips about Hair Care here

So after reading all of the above you surely want to know how to make this Miracle Hair Oil yourself, right?

Here is the recipe, with pictures.

Ingredients :
1/2 Litre pure Coconut Oil ( Organic Oil works best but you could use Parachute Coconut Oil too)
1 medium sized Onion (regular Red Onion/Kanda/Pyaaz)
5 Sambhar Onions (available as Red Shallots is you’re living outside India)
5 medium sized cloves of Garlic
Leaves from 10 Stems of Kadipatta (Curry Leaves)
1 heaped Tbsp Methi Dana
(Soak methi seeds for 4-5 hours.  Drain the water post soaking)
Method:
Chop the onions and garlic and roughly rip the curry leaves.
Mix everything , EXCEPT Oil, and grind it to a fine paste.
In a Kadhai ( I used a cast iron Kadhai but you could use a regular one ) first add the Oil and then add the paste to it and mix well.
Switch on the flame and stir as you let the oil come to a boil with the paste in it.
Lower the flame to a simmer and let it cook till the onion/garlic/kadipatta mixture darkens, as shown in the picture below (it took me 10-15 minutes)
P:S: Concentrate on the mix which should darken. The Oil DOES NOT turn black.
Switch off the flame, cover and keep aside overnight.
Strain and use.
You need to store it in a cool, dark place away from sunlight. Mix well before each application.
You could store it in a glass container or a plastic one, it does not matter. I store mine in a plastic bottle.

I used Pure & Sure organic Coconut Oil to make my 2nd batch of this Miracle Oil. Get it here;

Disclaimer: This is an Amazon Affiliate Link. That means, if you do click on the link and buy the product I will get a small fee. This in no way affects the product price for you. I recommend only products I personally buy and use.

Apply the Oil to your hair, leave it on overnight and shampoo the next day, twice a week, for best results.
Both Men and Women can use this Hair Oil. You could use it on children at your own discretion.
Sirimiri-Miracle_Hair_Oil
Sirimiri-Miracle_Hair_Oil
Sirimiri-Miracle_Hair_Oil
Sirimiri-Miracle_Hair_Oil

Rachna

March 23, 2017 at 4:30 pm

Very interesting, Mayuri. Glad to hear that the hair oil is working well for you. Natural really does work better.

Geethica Mehra

March 23, 2017 at 5:10 pm

I always like to grow my hair. And your hair oil recipe looks like the perfect solution. I am gonna try it soon.

March 23, 2017 at 5:24 pm

Thank you, Mayuri! I really need a miracle for my hair…my hair is thinning too and I have a lot of hair fall…I have all ingredients right now at home, except the sambhar onions, so I’m going to do this first thing tmrw.

March 23, 2017 at 6:11 pm

I was at your stage, Shubhangi. this oil worked wonders, I hope it does the same for you too. Hugs.

Dipika

March 23, 2017 at 5:53 pm

Thanks for sharing the recipe with your readers Mayuri, hair problem is something we all fallen prey to and if something as organic as this can save us from loosing lovely tresses why bother to pay heavy bills.

March 23, 2017 at 6:13 pm

Good things should always be shared , Dipika:) Hope it works for you too:)

Shilpa Gupte

March 23, 2017 at 5:59 pm

Mayuri, thank you so much for this recipe. I have been suffering from hair fall and greying since some time now and as time passes, I keep fearing baldness!
    I am definitely going to try it out as I too believe in using natural ingredients for skin and hair care . I will let you know the results after a month of using the oil. Till then keeping fingers crossed! 🙂 ♡♡♡

March 23, 2017 at 6:19 pm

You’re so welcome. Try this, Shilpa. Do share if it bought about a change.

Kala Ravi

March 23, 2017 at 6:24 pm

Mayuri I have been at my wits end trying to solve hair fall problem both for me and my daughter. This oil recipe is quite simple. I’ll give this a try. Thanks for sharing.

March 24, 2017 at 4:57 pm

Hope it works for you and your daughter, Kala. You’re welcome 🙂

Ramya

March 23, 2017 at 8:28 pm

Good one Mayuri. Is sambar onion mandatory? Can we replace them with normal onions?

March 24, 2017 at 4:58 pm

Ramya, neither my friend nor me have tried replacing the Sambhar Onions with regular Onions, so I really can’t say. Apologies, wish i could help you out.

Saru Singhal

March 24, 2017 at 1:51 am

This sounds weird. But I am sure it works. Most of the fancy-organic products we use are a packed versions of such age old concoctions.

March 24, 2017 at 4:59 pm

Sounded completely weird to me to, Saru, but the results wowed me!:)

March 24, 2017 at 4:00 am

Onion and garlic too… Now that’s a very different solution… I wonder if I should try it… Maybe in small potion… Thanks for this

March 24, 2017 at 5:00 pm

Let me know if you do ,Raj. You could tried a blogpost on it, Urea format :)))))))))))))) You’re so welcome!:)

SHALINI BAISIWALA

March 24, 2017 at 10:34 am

Thank you for sharing this recipe with me. My first thoughts were the same – chutney mix! Once it was made, I was smelling food thoughts the whole day as it smelt divine then. Once applied to the head; the smell gets nauseating – so yes essential oil is a must (Thank you for helping me search the EO that day)
    I have used it 3-4 times and my hairfall had a remarkable change since first application only. Now hair only comes out the day I massage my hair.
    Earlier I was waking up with hair on my pillow, drains clogged after a bath/hairwash and hair on my clothes too!
    My hairdresser commented on my hair looking really fuller when I went for a haircut recently!
    Thank you so much for this oilt recipe.
    I will make more in a few weeks; probably minus the sambhar onions as we dont get them in delhi – havent seen them here!

March 24, 2017 at 5:02 pm

Love you for sharing this detailed feedback with me, Shalini. I am so glad it helped. As for the Sambhar Onions, I am sure you will get them in Delhi, online at least!:)

Manisha Garg

March 24, 2017 at 2:31 pm

Almost everyone has hair problems so this could be so much helpful. Have tried onion but not the combination

March 24, 2017 at 5:03 pm

Oh, you have no idea how much it has helped me, Manisha!:)

Vidya Sury

March 25, 2017 at 12:51 am

My mom advised our milkman back in 1996 to apply sambar onion paste…he was going to get married and worried about his receding hairline. It worked wonders for him and in three months the difference was remarkable. I’m thinking of giving this a go. Hugs Mayuri…Your hair always looks fab to me

Sree

March 27, 2017 at 8:56 pm

I had have experienced the pearl onions ( Sambar onion) miracle myself. I had lost a Small portion hair (more like a lemon size portion) when I was in my 9th grade and rubbing these small onions everyday for a month or so re-grew my hair in that area.

Shivani

April 19, 2017 at 3:17 pm

Hey Sree, How long you use to apply the sambhar onion , also do we need to do head wash after applying the same ?

March 25, 2017 at 3:39 pm

I have t try this for myself and both my girls. Not going to tell them the ingredients as I am sure they r going to run away if they come to know about onion in it. Thanks Mayuri for sharing this wonderful oil recipe. 🙂
    Kreativemommy

March 26, 2017 at 11:38 am

I loved the recipe .Though the onion garlic thingy is more for my mutton recipes than hair .That’s what hubby said. But even he noticed the hair looking glossier and fuller.Plus the maid stopped complaining about hair being everywhere .

April 28, 2017 at 5:43 pm

Lolol! Yes, the ingredients could make a subzi ! They got me my hair back however!:)))

Aditi

May 2, 2017 at 2:36 pm

Hey, saw the pic that you have posted. Which coconut oil did you use ? How many times did you apply the oil in a month. Twice or once in a week ? Thanks in advance 🙂

May 2, 2017 at 4:50 pm

Aditi, I used The coconut oiL that is in the pic Coco Guru
        I apply it once a week, twice a week is ideal though.

March 26, 2017 at 3:07 pm

Mayuri, I have been using this oil for past one month on your insistence and I am so happy I listened to you. It has worked wonders for the postpartum hair fall mess. My hair holds straight and silky even without a conditioner. I can’t thank you enough for this. I have not brushed my hair in an entire day but still my hair is straight and tangle free. I love it.

April 28, 2017 at 5:44 pm

Thank you for sharing your experience, Tina. I am so glad it would for you!

Janani Viswanathan

March 26, 2017 at 11:24 pm

Thanks for this recipe Mayuri. Hair fall is always my number one concern. And I am too scared to try anything which is not natural with the fear I may lose the rest. Should try ur natural recipe and I hope to see some good results.

April 28, 2017 at 5:45 pm

I hope you’ve tried it , Janani. Let me know if it worked for you, if you have.

Reshmi

March 27, 2017 at 7:23 pm

I have used oil boiled with kadipatta and methi. It worked well for me and my family. Am sure this recipe will work too… Thanks for the recipe..

Pallavi

March 27, 2017 at 7:49 pm

Hi Mayuri,
    Thank you for sharing the recpie. Couple of questions:
    1. Are sambhar onions the small onions we get in grocery stores? I am in US. Please let me now.
    2. What do you mean by pure coconut oil? Do you mean organic or any other will do?

March 27, 2017 at 8:13 pm

Hi Pallavi,
      1) Sambhar Onions are the small red Onions, yes. Called Shallots in the US.
      2) Organic Coconut Oil works best.

Karthik

March 27, 2017 at 9:40 pm

Does this work for men hair as well ?

March 27, 2017 at 9:44 pm

Yes, Kartik. My Husband uses it as well and has seen a difference too.

Pallavi

March 27, 2017 at 8:26 pm

Which essential oil we have to use? Any particular brand? I had a baby four months back.. I am experiencing severe hair fall.. Hope this works like a wonder for me

March 27, 2017 at 8:31 pm

Whatever brand and fragrance you like. It has helped my friend with her postpartum hair fall issues. I hope it helps you too, Pallavi.

Prapti

March 27, 2017 at 9:31 pm

Did you also add soaked methi seeds with onion, garlic, curry leaves in the grinder?

March 27, 2017 at 9:44 pm

Yes, Prapti. I have specified that you need to grind ALL ingredients together EXCEPT the Oil.

Prapti

March 28, 2017 at 12:26 am

Thanks! Got little confuse so thought to confirm with you 🙂

Manu

March 27, 2017 at 9:53 pm

Hi mayuri…..am planning to try this oil….have been having hair loss for many years……but can i add dried fresh henna leaves instead of essential oil……

March 27, 2017 at 10:05 pm

Hi Manu, please use only the ingredients mentioned. Essential oil is optional but you cannot add fresh henna leaves.

Valar

March 27, 2017 at 11:08 pm

Thank you Mayuri….Just wanted to know what shampoo and conditioner you use ??

March 28, 2017 at 7:38 am

Hi Valar, I alternate between using Patanjali Milk Protein Shampoo and Conditioner and Moroccan oil Shampoo and Conditioner (for dry hair)

Savitha

April 23, 2017 at 5:30 pm

Where do you buy these shampoos?
        Which store?
        Because I like try these shampoos too, thanks for sharing.

April 28, 2017 at 5:48 pm

Hi Savitha, I buy the Patanjali shampoo online. And the Morrocan Oil Shampoo and Conditioner from my Salon, who are certified dealers of the same.

Pav

April 25, 2017 at 8:38 am

Hi Mayuri,

Thanks for posting! I tried the recipe with same measurements and stored the oil in dark at room temperature; however it somehow had fungus in it after 2 weeks.

April 25, 2017 at 8:41 am

That is very strange, Pavneet. i made my last batch in February, still using it and it’s fine.

Sruj

March 28, 2017 at 3:52 am

Can we use this for 2 year olds too?

Shilpa

March 28, 2017 at 3:58 am

Hi Mayuri,
    Thanks for this wonderful oil recipe….how long does this oil stay,also,it can be left outside or does it go in the refrigerator…..thx a ton

March 28, 2017 at 7:36 am

Thank you, Shilpa. I made mine over 2 months ago, it is still good and I am using the same. Store in a cool dark place, it hardens in the refrigerator.

Sonal

March 28, 2017 at 4:03 am

Hi. Very nice recipe. Ll definitely try. One question v can prepare the oil once and use it till it finishes?

March 28, 2017 at 7:35 am

Thank you, Sonal. Yes, that is what i do. Store it in a cool,dark place.

ramya

March 28, 2017 at 4:14 am

can you add castor oil?, will there be any harm in adding it and also instead of coconut oil can i use olive oil?

March 28, 2017 at 7:34 am

Please follow the recipe as it is. I have no idea about Olive and Castor Oils, Ramya.

janaki

March 28, 2017 at 6:12 am

My Hair is falling incredibly ..I tried something similar before but only coconut oil and curry leaves but didn’t make a difference. Do you think adding onions and garlic would help?

March 28, 2017 at 7:33 am

Following the recipe as it is has helped me, which is why i have shared it, Janaki.

Ritu

March 28, 2017 at 7:54 am

I’m going to try this. Which essential oil did you use to mix in this ad how much?

March 28, 2017 at 8:23 am

I did not use any Essential Oil. My friend used Rosemary, 1-2 drops in each application.

Meena

March 28, 2017 at 11:07 am

I am planning to make this. The big onion, is it a red onion or a yellow onion? I live in the US and it is not obvious from the picture. Thank you

March 28, 2017 at 12:56 pm

Hi Meena. It is a red onion.

Radhika

March 28, 2017 at 1:05 pm

Hello – my biggest concern is my 10 year having a few grey strands. Will this oil help with that as well?

March 28, 2017 at 1:16 pm

Radhika, the only way to find out is by trying. To be honest, I did not keep a check for the grey hair. My only concern was the dry texture and severe hair fall and i have seen a huge difference in both.

Sonal

March 28, 2017 at 2:19 pm

Mayo this Sounds great but for that oniony -garlic smell.. but what the heck.. I am going to definitely try it if it helps me reduce the tremendous hair fall.. !
    can I reduce the quantity to half for a one time trial ?

March 28, 2017 at 2:44 pm

When you see the results you won’t mind the smell, Sonal!Really! Sure, make a small batch reducing the quantity by half and give it a go.

Shubs

March 28, 2017 at 2:27 pm

Hi Mayuri,
    Does it help in regrow of hair to reduce the hairline apart from reducing the hair fall, or that is a irreversible process. Does it helped you completely stop the hair fall.

March 28, 2017 at 2:42 pm

Hi Shubs,
      Yes, my hair is regrowing, where scanty patches used to be.Noticed the difference around the hairline first. I have been using it once a week, since Feb, and I have seen a huge difference in the hairfall. Ideally, using it twice a week would help even better.

Shubs

March 30, 2017 at 11:21 am

Thanks Mayuri 🙂 . Will surely give it a try. Hoping for the same result

dew cool

March 28, 2017 at 4:27 pm

Easy to make and quick recipe as all ingredients are available at home. A must try for me as we all suffers from hair problems thanks for sharing

Medha Nagur

March 28, 2017 at 4:37 pm

Haha chutney you said and I too imagined the same after going through the ingredients. But methi seeds, coconut oil and curry leaves can really do wonders although i had never heard of onion or garlic for hair. Will give it try for sure. My hair fall is too bad since it’s seventh month post delivery. Hope this oil can fix it. Thanks for sharing it.

April 28, 2017 at 5:50 pm

Hope you tried it, Medha 🙂

Ishieta@Isheeria's

March 28, 2017 at 6:36 pm

very nice recipe. Thanks for sharing 🙂 I do love coconut oil and curry leaves 🙂

Jaya

March 29, 2017 at 10:26 am

Hi, does this recipe help dandruff related problems. But i have hairfall and split ends too. Can i give a try?

March 29, 2017 at 4:37 pm

I don’t have dandruff, so wouldn’t know, Jaya. However this oil has helped me immensely with hair fall and split ends. Do try it:)

Shelly

March 30, 2017 at 12:00 am

As the weather is going to be too hot in coming days, will this stay if we keep outside as there would be many dark places in the house but cool would be a challange.

March 30, 2017 at 9:15 am

Hi Shelly, I made my Oil in winters too, so I have no idea about how it would react to the hot weather. I would suggest refrigerating it, and heating a little of the amount you plan to use each time.

Divya

March 31, 2017 at 8:47 pm

I have a slightly silly question: The shallots I purchased from a local grocery store look slightly different from the ones that I see at Indian stores..Is that okay?

Rekha Rajiv

April 1, 2017 at 10:18 am

Hi… how about using frozen Red Shallots ?

April 1, 2017 at 6:07 pm

Ummmmm, if you can’t find fresh ones, make do with frozen ones I guess, Rekha:)

Preeti suryakumar

April 2, 2017 at 1:41 pm

So I finally made the oil. The ‘ masala’ after it turns brown is basically really well.fried onion and garlic if you must. The smell of the oil makes me dream of food !!!!
    I added a few drops of lavender oil, but the onion smell is too strong and overpowers all the other smell.
    Does it take a little to get used to it?
    I hope it works.
    Thanks! Will keep you posted

April 2, 2017 at 6:47 pm

Preeti, after how well the oil worked for me, the smell doesn’t bother me at all!:))) Hope it works as well for you too!:)

Anita

April 2, 2017 at 5:47 pm

I’ll surely try this, Mayuri!
    Thanks for sharing:)

April 2, 2017 at 6:48 pm

You’re most welcome, Anita:)

Anu

April 3, 2017 at 1:43 am

Hi! I just made the concoction! Excited to try it. I’ll probably add some EO. My question is how long do you leave it on before washing it off? Thanks! And fingers crossed!

April 3, 2017 at 5:45 am

Hi Anu, it’s mentioned in the post. Keep overnight for best results. Using it twice a week would be perfect 🙂

Kalpanaa

April 3, 2017 at 9:31 am

Im already into coconut oil and have recently taken a decision against hair colour. I love anything weird and different so will definitely concoct this and apply it to my scalp.

April 28, 2017 at 5:54 pm

Hahahaha, Kalpanaa. Hope you tried it!:)

April 3, 2017 at 9:34 am

So this is the miracle recipe you told me about! A little concerned about the smell – but I have plenty of lemongrass oil at home that should take care of it.
    My grandma used to boil curry leaves and hibiscus in coconut oil. While I never tried it, she barely had any greys even in her 60s.

April 28, 2017 at 5:55 pm

Thanks for reading, Sreesha:) Lemongrass would be a great addition to disguise the smell.

Deepa Shetty

April 5, 2017 at 8:11 am

I did simmer the oil for about an hour but still the ingredients didn’t turn dark as i see in the picture you posted ? I thought it would turn dark after switching off the gas in the hot oil..Is it okay to repeat the oil to get the desired color ?

Deepa Shetty

April 5, 2017 at 8:12 am

I meant reheat the oil to get the desired color ?

April 5, 2017 at 8:15 am

An hour is too long , Deepa. My Oil turned this color in about 15 minutes.
      Check the masala, if it is dark brown it means you’re done. Sieve and use the hair oil.

Deepa Shetty

April 5, 2017 at 11:28 pm

I did reheat the oil after 5 hours of keeping it covered.It was dark brown then and i added some jasmine drops to cover the smell. I applied it last night and the smell still lingers in my hair. I will let you know my results with the hair oil.

Ritu

April 5, 2017 at 6:52 pm

Very interesting… would like to give it a try 🙂 Thanks for sharing <3

Sushma

April 16, 2017 at 12:12 am

Hi, had come across this post in a group. Made this oil, but it got burnt as I was reading the blog to store it. 🙁
    Will the slightly burnt oil be okay to be used or should made a new batch?

April 16, 2017 at 8:14 am

I think you need to make a new batch. Also, keep stirring the mix , and keep your flame at the lowest.

Archana

April 18, 2017 at 11:13 pm

Came across this post recently. Sounds interesting!! Gonna try this. Also in case you come across such miracle recipes for grey hair please do share!..Thanks for sharing,

Dixita

April 20, 2017 at 10:42 am

Does this stinks kya after applying ?
    I have been careful with my hair too anf presntly am using Bhtingraj oil.
    Will give it a try too soon

April 28, 2017 at 5:57 pm

It does stink, yes:)) Thanks for reading, Dixita:)

Rakhi Parsai

April 25, 2017 at 4:37 pm

Wow Mayuri, I chanced upon your blog for the 1st time today but I feel I have found a sea full of interesting information. I am so gonna make this DIY oil. I am crazy about maintaining my 4 yrs old daughters long hair, I am sure this is like a god sent link I came on.. Thanks a lot. Will come back and check out everything that you have to offer here. Wonderful site.

Pikakshi Manchanda

April 27, 2017 at 8:07 pm

This sounds very nice Mayuri.! I’m definitely going to try it. i have been really troubled about my hair, trying different oils and shampoos and medicines and lotions! What not!
    From so many comments, I can see it has helped so many people. The only problem would be finding the red Sambhar onions.
    Thanks so much for sharing!!

April 28, 2017 at 5:59 pm

Red Sambhar Onions would be Red Shallots outside of India, Pikakshi. Hope you find them. thanks for reading:)

Menaka Bharathi

April 29, 2017 at 11:52 am

Oh wow! wonderful recipe Mayuri, true when I say I use onion for my hair people do laugh but the results are really great.

Madhavi

May 3, 2017 at 8:03 pm

2 weeks into using this oil, the texture of my hair definitely changed…and still a long way to go before seeing any hair growth…..I am sure it will stand up to the expectations….Thanks a ton for sharing the recipe…

May 3, 2017 at 8:06 pm

Thank you so much for updating me with the feedback, Madhavi. I started seeing new hair growth after 4 weeks of application. Hope you do too.

Spoorthi

May 4, 2017 at 11:00 am

Hey, I am using it from last 4 weeks, applied twice in a week. I can see hair fall has reduced, hoping to see hair growth as yours. Instead of keeping it overnight , I am keeping it for one hour and then wash it off. Do you think keeping it overnight would have been resulted better .

May 4, 2017 at 11:13 am

One hour is way too little, Spoorthi. Overnight application is better.Try it.

Grace

May 5, 2017 at 8:00 pm

Hello ! I made it and am eager to try it on this week 🙂 Thank you for sharing your tried recipe, i am sure it will work.

May 7, 2017 at 3:47 pm

Thank you for reading, Grace. I am sure it will work:)

May 10, 2017 at 7:20 pm

I am definitely trying this. I could use all the help I get in hair care department!!

May 11, 2017 at 8:52 am

Do try it, Swathi. It really works!

Asha

May 13, 2017 at 11:18 pm

Hi Mayuri, Do you experience hair fall when you massage the scalp?

Asha

May 15, 2017 at 10:55 am

Hey, I do see much more hair fall when I put oil and then wash compared to without oiling . Is it normal for you as well. How much hair fall in general you have when you apply oil and wash.

May 15, 2017 at 9:11 pm

Yes, I see hairfall when applying and then post wash as well. I would say 50 to 80 strands each time. But i see, and feel double the hair growth. I have been applying the Oil once a week , leaving it overnight, since February.

Shivi chinnappa

May 14, 2017 at 12:04 am

All natural ingredients.. gonna try for sure.. thanks for sharing

May 15, 2017 at 9:11 pm

You’re welcome, Shivi 🙂

Bnms

May 25, 2017 at 8:58 pm

Can I use dry curry leaves ? How much coconut oil should I use if I’m using cold pressed organic coconut oil?

May 25, 2017 at 9:43 pm

If fresh curry leaves aren’t available then I guess dried ones will have to do. 500 ml of Coconut Oil, whichever one you use.